Thursday, October 15, 2015

Knowing the Difference between Form I-9 and E-Verify

Employers often use E-Verify and Form I-9 interchangeably. But the truth is, while they are related, they are very different processes.

Form I-9, from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), is the core of E-Verify.  It is used by an employer to verify an employee’s identity and eligibility for employment in the United States. E-Verify is not to be mistaken as an electronic version of Form I-9.  E-Verify is an internet-based system that compares information from the Form I-9 to government records to confirm that an employee is authorized to work in the United States.

Although E-Verify uses information from Form I-9, there are some important differences between Form I-9 and E-Verify requirements:

                        Form I-9
E-Verify
Is mandatory
Is voluntary for most businesses
Does not require a Social Security number
Requires a Social Security number
Does not require a photo on identity documents (List B)
Requires a photo on identity documents (List B)
Must be used to re-verify expired employment authorization
MAY NOT be used to re-verify expired employment authorization

Therefore, E-Verify cannot be used to replace Form I-9. E-Verify is used in conjunction with Form I-9 to help employers confirm that an employee is authorized to work in the U.S.

Why would an employer utilize E-Verify?

1.     It may be a requirement if the employer is a federal contractor or conducts business in a state that requires it.

2.     Participation makes it possible to hire some foreign students doing extended Optional Practical Training in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) profession.

3.     E-Verify creates a presumption of an employer’s good faith compliance in the event of an I-9 audit.

4.     Many employers, especially those with large payrolls and multiple offices throughout the country, like the ease of using E-Verify and the security it provides in ensuring a legal workforce, especially when used in conjunction with an electronic I-9 system.

 Which states require employers to use E-Verify?

 There are currently 20 states that require the use of E-Verify to some extent. Click here to see which states require E-Verify and in what capacity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment